Public housing building


Welcome to the NSPHA Tenant Information Centre

In this section, you will find important information you'll need to know as a tenant of NSPHA.

Public housing buildings

Your Tenancy With NSPHA

Across four districts, the Nova Scotia Provincial Housing Agency (NSPHA) provides over 11,200 safe, affordable homes to Nova Scotians. 

These homes are more than structures; they represent safe havens where families come together, where vibrant communities are built, and where people of all ages can find a place to call home.

Rent Calculation

Every year NSPHA will conduct an Annual Eligibility and Rent Review within four months of your anniversary date. As part of this review, you will be required to provide us with updated income information for all tenants and household members living in the unit. Your rent will be calculated based on the information you provide.
It is your responsibility to report any changes to your income throughout the year to your local NSPHA office.

Frequently Asked Questions

Rent is due on the first day of every month. There are several payment options for you:

  • Pre-Authorized Debit: Provide us with information from your financial institution to withdraw funds.
  • Employment Support and Income Assistance Direct Payment: If you receive Income Assistance, you can arrange for your rent to be paid directly to us from the Employment Support and Income Assistance Program.
  • Debit payment in person: At your local NSPHA office
  • Pay through your bank: By telephone or Internet banking.
  • Provide postdated cheques: For up to one year in advance. Cheques will be cashed by NSPHA on the first business day of every month.

If you do not pay your rent on time, you will be in arrears with money owed to NSPHA. If you are having trouble paying your rent, please talk to us. We can help you to set up repayment plan to collect funds owed over time. We are committed to working with you to keep you housed.
If you do not pay your rent or work with us to create a repayment plan, action will be taken through the Residential Tenancies Program.

Tenants wanting to transfer must meet the following criteria: 

  • Need to have lived in their current public housing unit for a minimum of 2 years.
  • Cannot be in arrears with NSPHA at time of transfer request or at time of a unit offer. 

A transfer may be approved for one of the following reasons: 

  • When a tenant can demonstrate a health or security reason for needing to move.
  • When a lack of transportation creates a barrier for the tenant.
  • When a tenant must relocate due to work. 

If approved for a transfer a tenant will be placed on a waitlist based on the date they applied.  Transfers are offered when a person is first on the waitlist for a building they chose.

Yes – if your employment status has changed, your rent may need to be recalculated to reflect your new circumstances.

Yes – your rent may need to be recalculated to reflect your new circumstances. Please contact us for more information.

You can contact your District Office to discuss the options available to you.